We’re celebrating our 177th Year in 2015! Trinity Episcopal church was founded in 1838. The church building was completed in 1867.
(Excerpts from A History of Lewis County, in the state of New York by Franklin Benjamin Hough, 1860)
Bishop Hobart visited Lowville in August 1818, confirmed several persons, and reported the prospects for the speedy formation of an Episcopal church as auspicious. The Rev. Joshua M. Rogers of Turin, occasionally officiated here, but after his removal to Utica, services were only occasionally performed by clergymen who chanced to be passing through.
Trinity Church, Lowville was legally organized September 24, 1838, with Kent Jarvis and George Lyman, wardens. The Rev. Edward A. Renouf became the first rector.
An edifice was built in 1846, and consecrated in November, of that year. The society received, we believe the sum of $750 from the Low family. A tower and bell were added in 1853, at a total cost of about $2,000. A rectory was built in 1857, during the rectorship of Rev. John Bayley. The first wooden church was replaced by the present elegant brick edifice, with the exception of the spire, in 1864, at a cast of about $12,000, and it was consecrated in that year.
In 1864, upon the rebuilding of Trinity church, the old frame building was moved to Shady Avenue, near the present railroad, by Moses M. Smith, and fitted up as an armory.
The Rev. Mr. John Bayley resigned in March, 1867 after a rectorship of ten years. His successor was the Rev. William N. Irish, who remained about five years…
The Rev. Alonzo B. Allen took charge of the Parish July 1, 1873, and retained it until August 1, 1879. His rectorship covered a period of marked prosperity. An old debt that had long been a heavy load was discharged, the church steeple was built and paid for, and other great improvements were made to the church property.